MUSICIANS: You Don’t FIND a Manager… A Manager FINDS You.
Finding a manager is about timing, being in the right place at the right time and, really, making it seem like you don’t need a manager. No one wants to work with an artiste who is struggling, but EVERYONE wants to jump on a speeding train.
Professor Big Eye NEVER had a Manager untill just last year when he started working with Stuart G Khast. I remember booking him on phone in 2011 for a gig at Blessed Sacrament Kimanya S.S in Masaka which was a massive success. Ever since then, Prof Big Eye has always handled his dealings personally without a 3rd Party.
Now, I cannot say he’s BETTER OFF or WORSE OFF. We all know some artistes who have achieved success with the help of Managers and some who have been destroyed by Managers. But one thing I should point out clearly is that having a Manager is not a hallmark of INSTANT SUCCESS.
Any Events Organiser or Agent will take you seriously and give you a performing slot as long as you communicate in a professional way and sound like you know exactly what you are talking about.
You need to Move Crowds Before any Manager would want to Take You On.
A manager takes a cut of your of money and in Ugandan, there’s no law that stipulates mbu a Manager should take 10%, they take what they think is enough for them and give you what they think is worth. So, you’ll have to be moving crowds and at least maybe making some money before a manager thinks of you.
If you’re still making 500,000ugx a month, my friend, you are not yet ready for a manager. No manager will invest their time and money working for 200,000ugx a month.
In this digital era, if you don’t have your stuff organized both ON & OFFLINE; no one will want to work with you.
Your facebook page is outdated, eg: There’s an artiste I know who last updated their facebook page on Xmas 2015… and he also wants a Manager.
Your personal Facebook Account has posts that are automated directly from Instagram… who’ll even waste their time thinking of signing you? They will just look once, move on and never look back. You need all of your SOCIAL MEDIA sites match the industry standards.
You need your performance to be better than that of Jose. C, Bobi Wine, Bebe Cool, Rema, Irene Ntale, Sheebah, Winnie Nwagi, Radio & Weasel who are selling out Concerts etc.
You need to look like an artiste READY TO TAKE ON THE WORLD.
———————————————————
Some Artistes think of approaching Management Companies eg: SWANGZ AVENUE, TALENT AFRICA etc but it rarely works out. Those Agencies want to DISCOVER their talent and if they discover you, you’ll become their passion project and they will brag to everyone they know how they discovered you and will move all walls for you. Eg: How SWANGZ is passionately promoting WINNIE NWAGI…
HOWEVER, there are some cases when a Manager can take on an Upcoming artiste. This is typically a BIG TIME Manager who has money making clients already. Just ONE PHONECALL and you’ll be performing on Sean Kingston’s stage at Lugogo. This is a manager who will spend just 10min of their day on you and the benefits will blow your mind.
Eg: “Hey Balaam, this is Julius Swangz Avenue. I hear you still have an opening slot at Sean Kingston’s show. I just signed this Church girl and she will blow you away. I have already sent you her audio on Whatsapp. Call me back in 5min”… and boooom, Irene Ntale will be on Stage opening for an Int’l artiste.
As I wind up, whatever you do… please don’t sign with a Manager JUST to have a Manager. I have met countless artistes who always yap; “Oh yes, MY MANAGER is handling that… blah blah blah.
Personally, I don’t give a damn and I don’t freakin’ care. Because if your manager was really handling it, I wouldn’t be asking you. The moment he/she starts making deals without your knowledge, then YOUR CAREER WILL BECOME THEIR CAREER & YOU LOSE ALL CONTROL hence the bitter split. (Jose. C and Sipapa saga).
NOTE:
Don’t lose sleep over not having a manager. A manager will approach you when you least expect it (and when you aren’t looking for one).
Thank you and till next time.
Comments
Post a Comment